Monday, 9 September 2013

Jai Ho

I am off out tonight, in a vain effort to keep my back strong and keep myself fit, I have joined Zumba classes again, this time in the village of Exminster.  You might wonder how it is possible to participate in a wheelchair but you would be surprised.  

I love music and dance.  In another life, I would have liked to have danced and sang.  

When I first starting going, I was still recovering from a fall and only managed to move the top half of me, but now, my little legs are getting involved.   I may not be able to dance on my feet but I can place my feet on the floor and do some steps when they are in a forward and backward direction and keep in time with others.    

Zumba is a Latin-inspired cardio-dance workout that uses music and choreographed steps to form a fitness party atmosphere.  While many of the types of dance and music featured in the programme are Latin American inspired, classes can also contain everything from jazz to African beats to country to hip-hop and pop.

Since its inception in the mid 90's by creator Alberto "Beto" Perez, the Zumba programme reaches 10 million people in more than 90,000 locations across more than 110 countries according to its website.  Over the years the classes have grown to include programming for children (Zumbatonic) and Zumba Gold for seniors.

If you have seen the film Slum Dog Millionaire, you will have seen a bit of Zumba dancing to a track called "Jai Ho".  I much prefer this version by the Pussycat Dolls and I love dancing to this song.

Check this video out.


No comments:

Post a Comment