Sunday 25 February 2018

My Beanie Pom Pom Hat

The last project in the Introduction to Tunisian Crochet I have been following on Craftsy was to learn how to knit and purl and in doing so produce a Beanie Hat with a Pom Pom.

The feedback from the students was that the pattern provided for the hat was a small one so I played around until I had enough stitches to make a comfortable fit for myself.

As the cast of chains was originally 58 stitches I increased mine to 72 for a 22" diameter. It was important to increase in multiples of 4 because of the pattern which consisted of a 2 pearl and two knit repeat.   

I used the same yarn that I used for the cowl so that I had a matching hat.  This was a caron cake and the colour label is Cake Pop.  It is a hand wash only yarn and 80% Acrylic and 20% Wool.  It is quite a thick yarn and perfect for a hat. I used a Tunisian Crochet Hook size 6. 

I started off the project Friday evening and it took a few false starts before I was producing the stitches correctly. I started a fresh the next day and had the project finished before midday on Sunday so it is quite a quick project to work up once you get going.  

I altered the pattern as I neared the end by starting to decrease  on the last 8 rows in order to have less bulk when gathering up the edge.  I am glad I did as it not only gave it some shape but I also have a hat shaped to fit my own head.

The finale was to sew up the side seams and gather up the long edge to pull it in.  I then made a pom pom using one of my largest pom pom makers and sewed this onto the top.

So here is the hat I made in a weekend!





No comments:

Post a Comment