Monday 21 April 2014

Sew much fun

It has been great to have some time off and be able to be creative.  I have had this itch for some time to do more sewing and although I had an idea what I wanted to make, I hadn't researched patterns so wasn't in a position to do much sewing until today, Easter Monday!

Searching on YouTube lead me to a sewist called "Patty Doo" who gives amazing clear instructions on making purses and bags.  One design that grabbed my attention was her tutorial on the Bowie Case. The Bowie case is a cute little bag with a bow, that can be sewn in 4 sizes depending on the size of your mobile device or an even bigger version to use a clutch purse.



Watching the video tutorial made understanding the steps involved simple so I went to Patty's website to download the pattern for £2.78 so I could give it try.

Thankfully, no resizing of the pattern was required and it was easy to determine which size would best match the size of my mobile device.   The hardest decision was whether to go with the bow or not!

Having cut out the pattern pieces I then rooted through my small stash of fabrics recently purchased through Little Laura's Haberdashery (www.littlelaurashaberdashery.co.uk) to see if I had something suitable to use.  In the end I settled on another fabric because I liked the really pretty print and felt I had something equally suitable for the contrasting bow.

A couple of hours of sewing and re-winding of the tutorial video and I was soon finished.  All that is left to do is put a magnetic clasp on it and then I can start using it.

Not bad for an afternoon's work and a very nice change it made.


                                           Back view


                                           Front view

I hope I have inspired you to make something for yourself.  Do check out Patty's website at http://www.emmalinebags.com for more ideas and tutorials.

Craft hugs, Natasha



No comments:

Post a Comment