Monday 1 August 2016

Pixie Powder Celebration

Last year I started using Brushos which is a powdered paint for backgrounds in my cardmaking.  The tiniest amount sprinkled onto card and then sprayed with a fine mist of water can create stunning backgrounds.   

Creative Expressions has developed this concept a stage further and added mica to give it a pearl finished and called it Pixie Powders.  The powders come in nice bottles with a nozzle tip so it is easy to shake out the tiniest amount.  When the colours blend the effect is gorgeous.

I am going to share with you today cards I have made where I have used the Pixie Powders to create wonderful backgrounds.

To make the background I needed some coloured tissue paper to match my pixie powders, a piece of acetate, some clear varnish lacquer (Cosmic Shimmer) and Pixie Powders.  I used Lava Red, Candy Pink and Rich Gold Pixie Powders.

First I took the acetate and spread a layer of clear vanish lacquer (Cosmic Shimmer). Working quickly I then sprinkled the powders randomly over the acetate.  The glue had the effect of making the powders spread, pretty much like water would.  I then laid a piece of pink tissue paper over the back of this.  When the lacquer was dry I trimmed off the excess tissue paper and the background was ready to use.  This is how it looked.




This image is the front and the one below is the back.



I used my Striplet die "Jubilee" from Sue Wilson to create the layer that sits over the pink background.  This was matted and layered onto card then finished with a flower made from tissue paper.




The next card is very different but again I used the Pixie Powders to create the background.  This time the colours used were Aqua Lagoon, Midnight Blue, Teal Wash and Peacock Green and green tissue paper.

I used dies from Sue Wilson's Greek Collection. I fell in love with this background die the moment I saw it and combining it with this technique for the background works particularly well as it allows the light to pass through.  I also used the border die from this collection to add drama down the side of the card and finished it off with the tag.  




These are my favourite colour combinations and I simply adore how this card has turned out.



No comments:

Post a Comment