Thursday 20 August 2015

Christmas Tree Surprise

 Pinflair produce some fantastic products for craft and home decor projects  This Christmas tree can be used as an advent calendar or be prominently displayed on your table on Christmas Day then opened to reveal a box inside where you can place your own special surprise for your dinner guests. 

I preferred the idea of decorating mine with chalk paints/stencils as recently demonstrated on Create & Craft so I purchased the Cartonnage kit which saved me £10.  I then looked through my crafty stash of papers and found some lovely 12x12 paper from Papermania called Home for Christmas which inspired me to using this instead. 

I must admit to having had this paper stashed away for a few years now just waiting for the right moment to use it as it is simply gorgeous.

This is the end product and it is lovely.  There is a cone shaped top that lifts off so that the sides splay out to reveal a hidden box inside which you can then fill with sweets or chocolates, hence the name "Christmas Tree Surprise".

I didn't want to make a chain of beads to drape around the outside of the tree as suggested so I found some quality ribbon which I adhered to the back area of each of the sides in a zig-zag formation.  The ends were neatly hidden by the inside panels.    I plan to buy some mini pegs and may cut out some stamp sized numbers 1-24 so that it looks like an advent calendar.  

The tree has a separate base which it rests on.  At the moment I haven't glued this onto the tree as I plan to make it hinge so that I can hide some last minute treats in it just for me!

c



This next image illustrates how the item looks once the top is removed and you can see how the sides are held in position by the use of some cord.  They are held in place between layers of cardboard both at the tops of the tree and inside the box like so.



A final view of my tree.  Now that I know the cord is doing its job I will glue the inside panels to the edges of the box.  They are currently just pushed into position so I can check that the mechanics work.  


I am very pleased with my Christmas Tree Surprise and hope that my dinner guests will be at Christmas too.

Whilst writing about Pinflair products I would like to share with you other Pinflair products I have made over the last few years.

This sewing box;



and this tissue box:






No comments:

Post a Comment