Sunday 8 April 2018

Cat-tastic!

I occasionally go to antique fairs as I enjoy looking for unusual items or things that can be repurposed.

When I went in January I was looking for old cups and saucers that I could re-purpose as I had been given a candle making kit as a gift at Christmas and wanted to set the candle wax in the cups.  


I found what I was looking for, a set of six matching cups and saucers with dainty yellow flowers on them and at a bargain price of £3.00. 

As it turned out, the task of making the wax was a little challenging for me to say the least so my husband lent a helping hand.  This wasn't a bad thing as the gift we were making was to be for his mother for Mothering Sunday.



The next time we were trawling around the antique fair we found a stallholder with a very large pet carrier made of wicker.  It looked very old but in reasonable condition.  One of the metal fixings for the door was broken but we had another idea for its use.

We were hoping that our cats would love to use it as place to tuck themselves away in and maybe have a little cat-nap. So we got it home and it had a clean up whilst I had a rummaged for some suitable fabric to make a comfortable base to go inside it.  

I cut out an oval shape and then the seams were tacked in place before the sewing machine came out.  An opening was left for filling the large cushion with the polystyrene filling which we seemed to have already acquired from another activity.  

Next came the messy bit!  I sat on the bedroom floor trying to fill the large hole without making a mess but it was impossible as those pesky polystyrene balls had a mind of their own and despite my best attempts, they went everywhere!

Sometime later, the cushion was stuffed and the hole was carefully sewn up so the little polystyrene balls could cause no more mayhem. 

After an hour or so of labour we now have a large cushion that will fit comfortably inside the carrier.  

I have a fleece blanket over the cushion so that this can washed as necessary.  Hopefully the cats will make full use of it.  Milo has already given it the thumbs up!  It is quite a large carrier as far as carriers go and I am sure both of our cats could squeeze in there if they tried.

Here is a short video of Milo enjoying the new carrier.







No comments:

Post a Comment