Wednesday 19 September 2018

Golden Wedding Ring Cushion Cover



I have had these quilting templates in my sewing room for some time now and got as far as cutting out some fabric with the intention of making something out of them then my project stalled because I didn't know how to join pieces together.


This project has languished away for a few years waiting for me to return to it.  However, on a routine tidy up I came across the templates and cut out pieces of fabric and thought it was time to get it on with it!

After watching a Craftsy video specifically for making this style of quilt which is called the Golden Wedding Ring, I understood how to join the pieces together to get a neat finish.  It is a complex design and perhaps not one to attempt as your first project in quilting but it was one that I choose because I really liked the design.

After sewing all the panels together I had some batten wadding that I cut to size and then used stick and spray fabric glue to adhere this to the back of the work.  Another piece of fabric was cut to size for the back of the work and also adhered on. 

I had some plastic templates that I used to do the quilting design with.  Using a ink erasable pen I was able to draw the design on the cream fabric and then used quilting thread and hand stitched the design.  I was really pleased with how it turned out.

I have turned this into a cushion and have a zip at the centre back.  I have put an 18" round feather cushion inside.  I tried the next size up (20") but it really was too large.  I am hoping this one settles down and fills out the shape.  

Since preparing this blog I have found an instructional video on the internet by Jennie Rayment who is a very talented and experienced quilter.  I recall watching her demonstration of this on the Create and Craft channel which inspired me to have a go at quilting this in the first place.

I hope you like my first piece of quilting.

Video demo is available here.


No comments:

Post a Comment