Saturday 21 September 2013

Sew much fun

I enjoy a broad range of hobbies which is why I call myself Crafty Tash.  In my younger days I used to do a lot of dressmaking as it was difficult to buy off the peg clothes that fitted well.  My biggest success was making my own wedding dress and my bridesmaid and page-boy outfits.  I also made silk waistcoats for my husband to be and his best man, Ian his brother.  Looking back, it was a mammoth task but I felt I needed something to do to fill the 18 months leading up to the big day.  I hired the assistance of a seamstress to adjust my dress pattern so that the fitting would be perfect and it was.  It was a wonderful day followed by a three week honeymoon in America.  We borrowed a video camera and I just kept smiling the entire three weeks.

Sewing is taking a bit of a revival and back in the New Year I took the opportunity of updating my sewing machine.  It has come out on a few occasions but I haven’t fully utilised it yet. I made a cute owl very recently having received a free pattern and fabric from my Homemaker magazine.  




Hobbies can be expensive if you invest in everything you need, maybe use it once or never finish what you started due to lack of knowledge or skill. 

Here is a hobby that I guarantee you will enjoy – making felt Christmas decorations.  I have purchased this Felt Christmas Decorations book by Corinne Lapierre and it consists of 20 projects.  It is available from Amazon for £3.74.  

You will need access to a photocopier because the patterns need enlarging by 200%.  I have made all these Christmas decorations in four evenings!  I hope to sell these on my stall in November.  My favourite is the owl.  I shan't stop until I run out of felt!  Let me know what you think of them.







No comments:

Post a Comment